We thought that packing for a gay cruise is like packing for any other cruise, however, we were wrong.
Our first cruise experience was with Celebrity Cruises and although this was not a ‘gay cruise’, it was very gay friendly and you can read more about it here. We loved the experience and as a result booked ourselves on to an Atlantis gay cruise to the Caribbean for the following year!
However, for our first Atlantis gay cruise our packing list is significantly different.
Having talked to many avid Atlantis cruisers, there are many items to pack that we had never thought about in the slightest!
We have put together a list’What to pack for a gay cruise’ below including what to wear for the themed parties, the daytime, evening and all the extra bits to pack. See if you agree:
What to wear on a Gay Cruise?
One of the things we love most about gay cruises is that they create a safe environment where you can truly be yourself.
Wear as little or as much as you want, experiment without judgement and feel comfortable and confident. We will start we the most exciting and most talked about part, the themed parties:
The Themed Parties
We are very excited for the these! Again, completely unique to gay cruises are the themed parties. There is no pressure to join in, but some of the creations and the effort people put in is incredible!
Keep scrolling for the 2020 themes, but first the most common three themes every year are:
1) The White Party
The name says it all, wear all white.
We have never seen so many bare bums so feel absolutely free to simply grab yourself a white jockstrap (like this one from aussieBum) and get ready to party!
Here are some easy options to pick up from Amazon.com:
- aussieBum white jock strap
- White elastic body harness (similar to the one I wore below)
- Angel wings (if you are feeling adventurous)
- White UV body paint
- Adidas Originals white socks
- Adidas white high tops (these are quite cheap so if they ruined it’s not so bad).
2) Dog Tag T-Dance
This one happens every cruise and is all about the military, think black, green, leather and camo.
Grab some camo speedos, some trainers or boots and you are good to go.
If you want to take it further, you will see a lot of guys wearing a leather chest harness and maybe getting into character with some face paints too.
Some easy options from Amazon include:
3) Disco Theme
For the January 2020 cruise there are some new themes. Here are a few easy options we have found on Amazon:
Description from Atlantis followed by our ideas below:
”Change is rousing the elements in unexpected ways and tonight we bring them together in musical harmony.
Fire, Water, Wind, and Earth come to life on our dance floor for a celebration of all that Mother Earth has to offer, with a little visual fun.
Feel the heat of the night and accessorize into the spirit to bring these forces to life.
Think fiery body paint, sea creatures or gods, billowy feathers, heavy metals, and anything else elemental. Or just come as one of Greta’s friendly supporters.”
- Keeping it simple with some leaves – leaf headress and an ‘Adam’ costume from Adam and Steve of course.
- For Water – Greek God of the Sea Costume (but maybe forget the trousers!)
- For Fire – get yourself some bodypaints and paint yourself in flames.
- Feathers – get creative with these gold and white craft feathers.
Description from Atlantis followed by our ideas below:
”Take a journey to Treasure Island tonight where jewels come to life, pirates prowl, otherworldly creatures shine, and all that glitters might surprise you.
We invite you to come as bejeweled sparkling treasure, trolling thieves, glowing magical creatures, or swashbuckling scallywags. Diamonds in the rough welcome of course. ”
- The easy one is to be a pirate – you could just get this pirate hat and combine it with a jockstrap…if you want to be covered up get the full outfit.
This is a huge open theme. We think a good starting point would be to check out these adult Disney character costumes.
The final theme in 2020 is Playground – this really could be anything so we need to get our thinking caps on!
For us a good pair of speedos is a must and this is probably what the majority of people will be wearing during the day around the pool.
We are all about the JJ Malibu at the moment, they have a lot of cheeky styles. Take a look here.
We personally think you can’t have too many pairs but at least pack 7 pairs for a week long gay cruise.
For other underwear/swimwear brands aimed at gay guys, take a look at this post ‘Our Top Ten Gay Underwear and Swimwear brands‘.
If you pack a few good pairs of shorts, daily t-shirts and vests(UK)/tank top(US) then you will be good to go.
This is especially important when it comes to going on land to explore each stop.
For t-shirts, we usually go for Adidas originals which are also good for some of the sports themed parties such as the 2019 Champions party.
Evening Wear (Mealtime)
Something that is unique to a gay cruise is the dress code. You do not need to pack suits or tuxedos or anything very formal.
The running theme is casual throughout so a nice vest/tank top, t-shirt, shorts or jeans for the evening is perfect, go for a shirt if you really want to impress.
The only real rule is no bare bums!
Later on in the evening you might want a casual hoody and joggers if it gets cooler at night.
What to Pack for a Gay Cruise?
These items are the ones we would never have thought about, check the list to see if there is anything you have missed:
Gay Cruise Cards
With wi-fi being at a huge premium, a lot of guests order cabin cards (gay cruise cards).
These are small cards with your name, picture, any contact details you want and your room number on.
These are good for keeping up with all the new friends you meet during the cruise and of course will probably be used to replace Grindr (which does not work well anyway)!
Unlike any other cruise, on a gay cruise many people decorate their doors with pictures or displays to show their personality and to make friends.
Part of the décor is usually a white board for people to leave messages or for you to leave messages for your friends.
Check out this cheap white board from amazon.
If you are going to hang your white board, try not to damage the ship.
Use command strips or get a magnetic board as the walls should be magnetic.
We swear by Berocca as the first thing we have in the morning after a heavy night drinking to help with the hangover. It’s also good to get some vitamins in you!
Lets be realistic, with a few thousand gay men on board, you need to be prepared or pay a premium onboard for supplies.
When you head to the themed parties in your costumes you are probably not going to have any pockets.
We always put everything in a small drawstring bag which isn’t as obstructive as a full on backpack.
One night out is one night out, however potentially partying all day and all night or 7 days in a row is going to take it’s toll, protect your hearing and get some good reusable ear plugs!
Stay with us here! If you are the creative type and you have spent hours on your costumes for the parties you do not want someone to bash into you and ruin your costume – have a small sewing kit ready to keep all you hard work in one piece!
The Basics for any Cruise
And just in case you forget the obvious, make sure you have the following:
- Carry on luggage with some clothing – you won’t receive your full suitcase immediately so make sure you take some clothes/swimwear on board with you.
- Sun screen – take more than you need, if you run out whilst on board it is going to be expensive to replace. We prefer the mist sunscreen as it’s a lot easier to apply.
- Hand sanitiser – you might have seen the news story recently about one cruise ship coming home early because of a stomach bug outbreak, use hand sanitiser at all times!
- Sunglasses – yes for the sun, but also to hide the hangover. Take a few pairs, if you are anything like us you will break or lose them.
- Sea sickness tablets – the last thing you want after spending all your hard earned money is sea sickness. Be prepared with these sea sickness tablets.
- Water bottle – keep hydrated in the sun, have a decent bottle you can refill with water. Apparently, you can use the tap water but check once on board or just fill up at the gym.
- Toiletry bag – Don’t forget all the obvious bits and bobs; hair gel, razors, hair spray, toothpaste, toothbrush, contact lens solution, chapstick, deodorant, moisturiser etc
So there you have it, hopefully you won’t forget anything now and will be fully prepared. If you think there is anything to add, leave a comment below and we will update the list!
More about cruises?
- Mykonos Gay Sailing Trip – find out how you can join us!
- 12 Things you need to know about an Atlantis gay cruise!
- Are Celebrity Cruises Gay Friendly?
Liked this post? Don’t forget to pin it!
Some of the links in this post are connected to affiliate programs we have joined. If you make a purchase using one of the links, we get a small commission, at no extra charge to you. All opinions are of course our own!