In all honesty, we didn’t expect there to be a single gay bar in Benidorm, let alone a thriving gay scene!
Everything we knew was based on the hit UK TV series ‘Benidorm’ showcasing the destination as a very typical ‘Brits abroad’, cheap fun in the sun beach getaway. But there is so much more to this Spanish coastal town!
You can broadly split Benidorm into two. One half is the New Town, where you will find the clubbing strip which is cheap, tacky fun at its best, and doesn’t claim to be anything else!
The second half is the Old Town which took us by surprise. The Old Town, although just minutes away, is a far cry from the style of the New Town. The Old Town is much more traditional, picturesque, has some incredible tapas bars, and most importantly for this article, is where you will find Benidorm’s gay bars!
Read below for a full guide to gay Benidorm, it’s gay bars, beaches, and more.
Benidorm Gay Scene
Benidorm’s gay scene actually goes all the way back to the 1960s, when its first gay bar, called Gay Bar Pretex opened.
Since then, Benidorm’s gay scene has grown throughout the narrow, cobbled streets of the Old Town. There are many small gay bars and a few clubs scattered around which can easily tempt you into a bar crawl.
The majority of the gays bars in Benidorms Old Town are centred around the Calle Cuatro Esquinas and Calle Santa Faz.
We were genuinely shocked (and excited) to see the streets in the Old Town lined with gay bars on our first visit to Benidorm. We simply had no idea!
Benidorm Gay Bars, Clubs and Cafes
The majority of the gay bars in Benidorm are quite small and friendly, with outdoor terraces on the street which are perfect for people watching.
You aren’t going to find huge clubs, but there are a few places that have a dancefloor so later on in the night these are more akin to a gay club than gay bar.
As with pretty much everywhere in Spain, you have a fair few cruisy options too!
Benidorm Gay Bars
Head to the Old Town and try out these gay bars in Benidorm:
- Spirit – This is a popular fun gay bar with good music.
- Company Bar
- Bar 69 – Open from midday through to 2am.
- Lovers – Late night cruise bar.
- Escape Bar
- Kafee Klee – One of the oldest running gay bars, Kafee Klee is known for its drag shows!
- Eagle Bar – Like every bar we have ever come across called Eagle, this ismore of a cruisier bar.
- XS Mens Bar – Men only gay bar in the old town.
Benidorm Gay Clubs
If you want to dance try out these gay clubs in Benidorm:
- People Bar – This is spread over two floors with a dance floor downstairs, and has drag shows most nights. Upstairs has a darkroom.
- Mercury – This has one of the larger dancefloors and cruising areas.
Benidorm Gay Café Bars
There are a few places that double up as gay bars and cafes or restaurants. Check out:
- Royal Queens Bar – This is a bar/restaurant.
- Caspers – Café and lounge bar so you can grab food earlier on in the day including vegan and gluten free options. They also have drag shows at 10pm.
- ReFuel – This is a gay café bar located closer to the beach so you can enjoy sea views with your cocktail.
- El Papagayo – This cafe bar offers creative cocktails, happy hours and drag shows later in the evening.
Our best advice is just to wonder from bar to bar and see where the night takes you!
Benidorm Gay Beaches
Benidorm does not have an official gay beach as such, however like everywhere, certain beaches draw the gay crowd together. Check out:
- Raco del Conill – This is considered to be the closest thing to a gay beach and that is likely due to the fact it is a nudist beach. However, it is 6km away from the town centre.
- Levante – One of the best blue flag beaches around, in high season you may find the gay crowd hanging around near Don Ceser Café.
- Poniente – This is a 3km long beach and given the old town is where the gay scene can be found, the gayest end of the beach is near old town close to ReFuel café.
- Mal Pas – A small, quiet beach popular with locals.
For more gay beaches around the world, check out our gay beach guides.
Benidorm Gay Events
Benidorm Pink Weekend
Benidorm Pink Weekend runs for 4 days in May and invites you to come and paint the gay town pink!
Expect themed parties, talent shows, drag shows and the main party atop the castle in the Old Town. Oh, and don’t forget to wear pink!
Benidorm Gay Pride
Benidorm Pride is a week-long festival held in September and has been growing each year.
Similar to Pink Weekend, expect lively parties throughout the week, including a white party at Mirador de Castillo.
The main event not to miss is the pride parade itself. It runs along Levante Beach and finishes with outdoor performances from local DJ’s and artists.
Benidorm Gay Saunas
Benidorm has one gay sauna called H20. It is open 3pm-9pm each day and offers a Finnish sauna, steam room, large jacuzzi, full licensed bar, lockers, video room, private cabins, dark room and more.
Entry costs 12€.
Address: Calle de Tomás Ortuño, 46, 03501 Benidorm, Alicante
Benidorm Gay Hotels/Gay Friendly Hotels
Like the rest of Spain, you do not need to worry about a hotel being gay friendly. Spain is a very gay friendly country and we would be shocked if you ever had a problem in a hotel in Benidorm.
Listed below are a few hotel options in Benidorm that are very close to the gay scene so you do not have to walk far. We would also always recommend staying in the Old Town vs the New Town in any case!
- Hotel Roca-Mar – This hotel is right in the heart of the gay area and easy walking distance to Levante and Poniente beach. You can easily stumble back after a night out!
- Hotel Boutique Villa Venecia – If you are looking for something 5* near the old town then check out this beautiful boutique hotel.
- Hotel RH Royal – Adults only – Personally, we love an adults only hotel. The pools are always a lot more relaxing! This hotel near the old town also has a jacuzzi on site.
Are you as surprised as us? We never knew what was on offer in Benidorm for gay travellers. If you are looking for a cheap week away, with some beach time and fun gay nightlife then Benidorm might be for you!
Make sure you also check out our gay guide to Torremolinos – another coastal Spanish town with a booming gay scene!
Liked this post? You can save it for later by pining it!