What is LGBTQ+ History Month?
LGBTQ+ History Month is a celebration of LGBTQ+ history focusing on the gay rights and civil rights movements.
It is a time to raise awareness, combat prejudice, educate and raise visibility for all.
Many countries around the world celebrate LGBTQ+ history month, ‘officially’ these include:
- United Kingdom
- United States
Berlin also celebrates an equivalent named ‘Queer History Month’ (and is one of our favourite gay cities in Germany!)
When is LGBTQ+ History Month?
LGBTQ+ History Month was started in 1994 by a US high school teacher and following adoption of the celebration by other countries, is celebrated during different months of the year depending on where in the world you are based.
For us in the UK (and in Hungary), LGBTQ+ History Month runs for the month of February each year.
This coincides with the abolition of the outright homophobic Section 28 legislation in UK.
For reference, Section 28 (enacted in 1988) stated that a local authority “shall not intentionally promote homosexuality or publish material with the intention of promoting homosexuality” or “promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship” – good riddance to that!
In the United States, Canada, and Australia, LGBTQ+ History Month is celebrated in October to coincide with National Coming Out Day on 11th October.
Finally, in Berlin, they celebrate Queer History Month in June each year.
What’s on During LGBTQ+ History Month?
Wherever you are in the world, there is normally a calendar of events throughout the month to educate and celebrate.
For us in the UK, there is a launch event in November to promote awareness (promoted by LGBTQ+ celebrities) followed by education sessions in schools (normally linked to existing curriculum) and LGBTQ+ History Month festivals/events.
What can I do to help/get involved?
There are many ways you can help or get involved in LGBTQ+ history month (and these suggestions can also be implemented all year round of course!)
- Attend (virtually for now), share and promote upcoming LGBTQ+ History month events.
- Give to local and national LGBTQ+ charities. A lot of the work around LGBTQ+ history month is done by charities (see links in the next section).
- Share resources/links from the websites below with local schools (if they are not already doing something for LGBTQ+ History Month).
- Educate yourself using the resources below.
- Share the resources with friends and family.
- If you are not an LGBTQ+ person you can still be an LGBTQ+ ally – find out some best practises in ‘how to be an LGBTQ+ Ally’.
- Volunteer your time to help any organisations involved in LGBTQ+ History Month.
Where can I find out more?
Find out more about LGBTQ+ History Month around the world here:
- Schools OUT UK (has lots of great resources for education).
- Proud Trust LGBTQ+ History Month Education Pack
- LGBTQ+ History Month Website (UK with amazing resources for all)
- LGBTQ+ History Month Website (US)
- OUTing the past
Pin and share this!
Looking to get something booked but not sure where to start?
After 14 years in the travel industry Ben has launched himself as a Personal Travel Consultant - he can look after all your travel needs and provide a 100% personal service - head over to Ben Walton-Guest at Travel Counsellors and drop him a message.